Thursday, June 14, 2007

1 Timothy 4:14-15

"14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. 15Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all."

In v. 14 we learn Timothy has a "spiritual gift...which was bestowed."
I would guess the "prophetic utterance" would be one or more of the elders identifying what that spiritual gift was.
Where else do we see gifts being "imparted," by one believer to another?

In Romans 1:11, Paul longs to see the church in Rome so that "
I may
impart some spiritual gift to you." It seems that in that passage, "some" gift seems seems to be talking about mutual encouragement. Is encouragement a spiritual gift?

In 1 Thessalonians 2:8, Paul says that he and others imparted "not only the Gospel, but our own lives" to the church.

The gift imparted to Timothy is something specific which is not to be "neglected." Could it be one of the spiritual gifts listed in 1 Corinthians 12 and 14? Paul urges the church at Corinth to "desire earnestly" spiritual gifts because they edify the body (14:1-12).

So, we see that Paul has a desire to impart gifts, that we should "earnestly desire" gifts and not "neglect" them because they're beneficial to everyone for mutual edification and encouragement.

How often do we, as a group of believers, seek to impart gifts to others? When was the last time you heard someone give a "prophetic utterance" for mutual encouragement, something Paul especially urges in 1 Cor. 14:2.
It appears that the prophetic utterances do 2 things in the NT:
1. They identify gifts given. Either at the impartation of that gift, or as a way of recognizing a spiritual gift that already exists.
2. They edify and encourage the whole church (1 Cor. 14:3-4).

I think there was only one time in my life where someone spoke a "prophetic utterance" to me in this way. It was a pastor who was praying for me in a group of other believers. Without knowing me very well or for very long, they identified a particular gift that I have and prayed that it would not be neglected, or used vainly, but rather to further the kingdom.
It really struck and encouraged me.

I should seek to allow the Holy Spirit to use me to impart gifts to others. We should all do that for each other.

Timothy was told to "take pains," with the things we've talked about: Public reading of scripture, teaching, exhortation, and to not neglect the particular spiritual gift mentioned. I should be "absorbed in" the things of God and in using the gifts He's given me to further the kingdom. I should be absorbed in obtaining gifts, but should probably first not neglect the ones I have and use them to edify others. That seems to gel with the Parable of Talents in Matthew 25:
"
For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most Christians are scared to talk about this because it seems mystic, and I am not a big fan of mysticism, but their are mystic aspects to following Christ. I think we do ourselves a disservice when we limit out definition of Spiritual gifts. I would define spiritual gifts as any aspect of a believers life that is contrary to natural man. Read the lists of spiritual gifts and it is prety clear that they are in opposition to the flesh. A vivid reality to which Galatians 5:16-26 points. Sanctification is not earned it is grace given. The Holy Spirit is a missing person is most modern Christians theology.

JTapp said...

I know a lot of people who would agree with that last sentence.

Do they fear it because it's "mystic" or because it's not something they can control or really understand? Fear is definitely the opposite of faith.

Anonymous said...

Control

don't we love that

journeyman said...

"The Holy Spirit is a missing person is most modern Christians theology."

"Control"

Keith,

You hit it right on the head... I see this too often, the Holy Spirit is either missing... and if not entirely missing, I've seen Pastors attempt to control it.

I pray that the outpouring that is to come will be too great to be controlled by any one pastor, elder, preacher, etc.

This is an awesome post!